Thursday, April 14, 2011

visits.

I had a dream this morning that my grandmother was making cocktails in her bathrobe, in what seemed like a beautiful Moorish church, white walls, green glass arabesque windows. I chose: bitters, chocolate and soda water. I didn't like it but I drank it anyway.

And then alarms started going off, but my grandfather was there (!) and I was so happy to see him, and that he and my grandmother could sit and talk for a while, b/c she's been missing him a lot lately. He just sat and looked at us. Maybe heaven is a small bar in the sky with green windows.

(Alvin and Eleanor Miller, the sweetest romance of the century).

I like to think about my grandmother as a new nursing student back in the day, sitting at a coffee shop bar in Denver, CO, swivelling a little and drinking her marshmallow cokes.

And, my grandfather the tall and skinny doctor, who upon seeing my grandmother for the first time (during a circumcision she was assisting him with), said that her brown eyes almost made a girl out of the little boy he was operating on.

No comments: