Saturday, March 26, 2011

J'en veux

Goddamn if NPR didn't make me cry a little just now,,,,, interview with Amos Lee (collaboration with Willie Nelson !!!), Amos talking about growing up working in a record shop and realizing the power of the ALBUM, the A and B side. In our world of instantly available singles,,, damn if that sentiment didn't bring back my hours spent in dusty record shops, or the visceral thrill of listening to Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' from start to finish. And MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC, the power of whole albums that rolled on in your parents house afternoon, damn.

Good combination with the copious amounts of fresh thyme I just rough cut all over my potatoes, mustard, salt and pepper, olive oil bath.

The wine ('J'en Veux' Ganevat Jura field blend of almost 30 (?) red varietals) is getting more savory, though it could be the fit of almost tears, and the thyme smell all over my hands. It started out so light and acidic, of course, strawberry, current, maybe un-ripe lingonberry,,,,and now has taken on some savory rhubarb bramble, currants but slight cream?, little bit of cherry pie and crust on the end????

Am I losing my mind? I hope so. This radio episode has made me commit to getting all hundreds of my albums out of storage and setting up an actual sound system, with all the glories of my 4 foot tall 1970's speakers from one of my best friends in the whole world. I also need the original Richard Brautigan books that his father mysteriously got from a library in Amsterdam (??).

Cheers Saturday and home cooking. xxoo

2 comments:

Swirl said...

Yes, I felt that. The musty covers of my albums still resonate with a time when I wanted desperately to crawl inside each track, so profoundly did they move me.

I don't find that intimacy in my ipod, my cds, but the longing to feel it again has endured these many decades. Sometimes, in a thatch of rain drenched spruce or cedar, in resinous glory of old whites from Maria Lopez de Heredia, or in the delightful prose of a newly discovered post, I come close.

I will add tears to my next batch of porridge. Thyme you say? Time will tell. Thank you so much for this. I start this new day with hope.

Redbird said...

Thank you so much for the kind reply! Thyme, dusty records, and LdH wines,,, not a bad life. Good to meet you. Elizabeth